Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Meanderings

 I haven't done a catch up post in awhile. Things have been so crazy around here. I feel like I'm finally starting to get into a homeschooling groove, although it still isn't as structured as I'd like it to be. But hey, that is beauty of homeschooling, and I'm trying to take that pressure off. The kids are learning tons both in character and academics, and that is what counts.
A couple weekends ago, I got away to a women's retreat at Cannon Beach. My sis invited me and I was able to meet her new friends from her church. It was a lot fun and I came away exhausted and refreshed at the same time. We always love getting a good twin fix!
Remember when we decided to put our house on the market last spring? Well, it is a good thing it didn't sell because the Oregon National Guard still hasn't built the shop my husband will be working out of. It is supposed to be finished by spring/summer of 2013.  Therefore, we took our house off the market for this winter and will try again in the spring. I'm so relieved to be able to settle in for the winter without having the niggling feeling in the back of my mind that the house could sell any moment. This gives a chance to build our moving fund back up. My husband continues to work nearby, so it is a blessing he doesn't have to commute right now.

Our neighbor across the street is giving Josiah FREE sewing lessons once a week. These quilted place mats were his first project and I'm very proud of him. He picked all these colors himself and arranged them. Each is different, but in the same color scheme. Love them! Looking at these inspired me to start quilting with our neighbor once a month. I quit quilting when Josiah was born, 9 years ago. So I'm excited to start back up again, even if it is just a couple hours a month. 

My garden this year was pathetic. I made many mistakes and the weather didn't help, but the one thing that grew in abundance was volunteer pumpkins. I told the kids they could sell them, so they made a sign and sold them to all the neighbors as they came home from work. Josiah suggested I take this pic and post it to Facebook. We sold all the rest of them to friends on FB. They are using part of the money to buy items for Operation Christmas Child. They had a blast and we will definitely be doing this again.

We've been very busy with our unit study, the Prairie Primer, but having a lot of fun and leaning so much. Homeschooling is actually fun now! Our once a month creation science class starts this Friday. I've been busily getting experiments together.  Good thing I tested out the carbon dioxide experiment for class AHEAD of time. I added a little too much baking soda to the jar of vinegar and then I found out the hard way that the hole in the cork had sealed over. The cork burst off (found it in the other room) and vinegar and baking soda were dripping from the ceiling, me and the kids. We just stood there, a little stunned, but then we all started laughing hysterically. I can guarantee my kids will remember THAT experiment. I seriously cannot be left unattended while doing these experiments! Maahaha (mad scientist laugh)
We bought some CDs of a bunch of songs found in the Little House on the Prairie Books. I got inspired and started practicing my fiddle again. I quit playing when I started homeschooling Josiah 4 years ago. It is so fun to be playing again. Hailey is really interested and has a natural bow hold. I'm teaching her a few basics on her 1/4 sized fiddle. Sorry for the old picture, but I don't have a recent one of me playing. Josiah was less than 2 years old in this photo. We tried, but fiddling wasn't his thing. He really wants to play the bagpipes. I know, pray for me! We bought Josiah a bagpipe chanter and now I'm trying to add some music practice into our day. 
Josiah took this pic of Hailey and I.

Josiah took my new profile pic. Since this was taken, I've cut my hair shoulder length and I'm loving it.
Hailey finally gets to do dance class. She's is having a blast and learning tap, ballet and tumbling, which is taught all in the same class. Another blessing about not having to move this winter.

Hope you are all having a lovely fall. It is finally getting cold around here. We broke out the homemade hot chocolate and marshmallows this week, a sure sign that we are settling in for the winter. 

Happy Fall Ya'll!

God Bless, Jackie

4 comments:

Camille said...

How wonderful that you are staying put for the winter my friend! Yippee!! The LORD's timing is always perfect. What a blessing it is to rest in HIM!! It was fun to see a photo of you playing your violin...so fun! Austin loves to fiddle...wouldn't it be fun to connect sometime so the two of you could play together? I love the violin!! :)

Have a fabulous week!

Love,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That would be so much fun, Camille. I bet Austin could play circles around me though :) I'm pretty rusty

Unknown said...

Jackie, what a great update. I didn't know you played the fiddle! How wonderful! Loved all the pictures. Especially the one of you and Stacie!

Jill said...

So many great things in this post. I remember all too well the stresses of buying and selling a house. Glad you will be able to have a little break. Love all the pictures! Have a great week.

blessings,
Jill

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails