Monday, July 30, 2012

Whole Grain Scrapple Recipe - Easy Camping Breakfast

The latest "Mother's Legacy II" cookbook our local MOPS group put together came out recently. I've been having so much fun trying out all my friends' recipes. Of course, I love the challenge of using their recipes for guides and them switching them with healthier ingredients. 

I'm forever getting stumped when it comes to making breakfast and I found most of us love "scrapple" (with the exception of Josiah, which is weird since he normally likes everything). Adults seem to love this, but kids, hit and miss. This is the easiest thing in the world to make ahead of time. It freezes well and you can double your recipe if you want two loaves instead of one. I've taken it camping twice and liked that all I had to do was fry it up because I made it ahead of time. I like easy when camping!

Whole Grain Scrapple Recipe:
1 lb bulk sausage, broken up
1 quart water
1 1/2 cornmeal, I use whole grain
1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour

Mix the cornmeal and whole wheat pastry flour together in a small bowl. Boil water and stir in loose sausage. When it begins to boil again, slowly add in all (stirring constantly) the cornmeal/flour mixture until it thickens. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. Grease loaf pans, or line them with unbleached parchment paper. Pour in scrapple mixture. Refrigerate after cooling. When scrapple is set, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices and fry in coconut oil until brown on both sides. Salt and pepper if you desire.

Optional:  you can also roll the slices in whole wheat pastry flour before frying to cut down on grease splatter. Although, I thought it seemed to turn out well whether I did this step or not. 

You can serve this with ketchup, syrup, honey, apple butter or barbecue sauce. I love it with the mock maple syrup I make out of sucanat and natural maple flavorings. 

Enjoy,
Jackie

1 comment:

American Homemaker said...

I've been checking out your soap recipes... I'm totally intrigued by the blender one! I've GOT to try it!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails