Thursday, December 9, 2010

Homemade "Play Dough" Recipe

This is another fabulous recipe I found in our "Mother's Legacy" cookbook that our MOPS group is selling as a fundraiser. It would make a great Christmas gift! I usually avoid play dough, but this stuff I have no problem using. I like the consistency better than the store bought stuff. It holds together well and doesn't seem to dry out as quickly. 

It also is easier for the kids to roll out. Give my kids some of this dough to play with and some cookie cutters and they are entertaining themselves for a long time!

Homemade Play Dough Recipe:
1/2 cup cheap white flour
1/4 cup cheap salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp cheap vegetable oil
food coloring

In a medium sized saucepan, stir together first three ingredients. Then add water, oil and food coloring, stirring as you go until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring until ball forms. Won't take long. Cool. Let the kids knead it until smooth and then store into an airtight container or plastic bag. It was last a very long time if you keep the air out when storing. 

So whip up a batch and be your kids' hero! This would make great stocking stuffers or be fun to put in Easter baskets, too.

God Bless,
Jackie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've made this before. :)

God bless you!

Amrit said...

No Christmas tree pictures as yet.Waiting to see some Christmas picture.

Because of my Indian origin, I am only connected to three or four non Indian bloggers. You are one of them....looking forward to your Christmas decorations.

Melanie said...

Love it! I needed a good "play dough" recipe. Being as my three like to taste it, lol, it makes me happy to know exactly what they are tasting!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Mrs. A,
Glad you've tried it. So easy and love the results!

A,
I've got some Christmas pictures scheduled for next week. So glad I'm on your blog list! I've 1/32 Cherokee blood in me, does that count as Indian origin, LOL?

Melaniek,
Yes, this play dough won't kill 'em if they happened to ingest it.

Amrit said...

1/32 Cherokee blood :))

That still would not work.

Well I am Indian from India. Not American Indian.

But I am an American Citizen too. :))

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Oh, so you are a real American Indian! Gotcha! No I don't think being 1/32 Cherokee would work either ;) Thanks for having such a great sense of humor! Bless you, Jackie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen Hoke said...

I just tried this today and it turned out wonderful. I skipped the cream of tartar as I don't have it in my house, and it cost like $4.35 at safeway, and I don't know what else can I use it for. Anyway, it turned out great, and my son, my hubby and me all had fun playing it. :-)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Good to know it still works without cream of tarter, because you are right, that stuff is expensive! Glad you like the recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails