Thursday, January 19, 2012

Easy, Homemade, Healthier Marshmallow Recipe

I've been doing some research (see http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/) on using agave syrup and I'm finding that USDA certified corn syrup would be better than using agave syrup. With that new information, I thought I'd repost this recipe using organic corn syrup instead. While, I'm not a big corn syrup fan, I still think that if you made these with organic corn syrup it would be way healthier than anything you could buy in the store.

Someone left a comment and said she uses grade B maple syrup and said the flavor is subtle and they roast well over a campfire. I'm definitely going to have to try that! That would be way healthier than organic corn syrup.

I'm calling these homemade marshmallows, "Joemallows" in honor of my friend's husband who was teasing me  on Facebook when I made homemade hot chocolate. He asked me if I could make homemade marshmallows, and I rose to the challenge. So glad I did because now I'm my kids' best friend. Haven't bought marshmallows or hot chocolate (with the exception of a special treat when we go camping) for years. Now my kids will no longer be deprived in this department because mama found a way to make healthy marshmallows! Here is the finished product below. No, they aren't round, but trust me they taste just as good, if not better than the store bought marshmallows. You aren't going to believe how easy these are to make!!!!
Healthier, Homemade Marshmallows:
1 cup organic corn syrup (I use to use agave syrup but it turns out it isn't very good for you see this article http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/ )
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin or (1 Tbl if you have a box of gelatin)
1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla (I used about 3/4 of a tsp for our tastes)
1/4 tsp sea salt (Celtic Sea Salt is best)
6 Tbl cold water 
1. In a medium sauce pan, combine cold water and gelatin, mix until dissolved. Add organic corn syrup, salt and vanilla. Mix well, then heat to almost a boil. It won't take long.

2. Pour into mixer, mix on high for 10 minutes. Should be very stiff. I have a lightly floured pan ready to go while this is mixing. I use whole wheat pastry flour. If you want to make your own marshmallow cream, instead of buying it in a jar, just don't beat as long and pour into a jar instead of pan when done.
3. Pour into a floured pan. A 9 x 9 inch pan would probably work the best. Mine wasn't available, so I just use a pie plate which worked well, too.

4. Cut into squares using a wet knife. Let cool completely. If you really want a stiff marshmallow, put in fridge. No need to cover.
5. Add to homemade hot cocoa and you've got yourself a guilt-free comfort food! I left my pan of "Joemallows" sitting out for several days at room temp and they never dried out or hard. They freeze well, too. So make an big batch and freeze it in the pan. Amazing stuff!

This is a really easy, fun thing to make with kids. They will love you!

Enjoy, 
Jackie

25 comments:

Catherine said...

Hmmm, I think I might have to do this too! Thanks, Jackie.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Yeah, I stopped eating marshmallows a long time ago after starting to really eat healthy. I wonder how these would do over an open fire. Hey, I know, you try it and let me know.
Hugs
Kim

Jill said...

What a great recipe! I'll have to try this! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Jill

His bondservant said...

Jackie,

These look wonderful. Thanks for sharing, I will definitely be giving these a try...and just in time of Christmas baking!

Blessings,
jackie

Amy said...

I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

My Mom's friend made her a bag of homemade marshmellows a few years back and they were wonderful.

Have a great weekend.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Kim,
That is exactly what my son wants to try. They don't have that dry crunchy outer shell and I'm not sure how they achieve that. I think you could still roast them though and they wouldn't drip all over. The secret is getting them stiff enough to hold them together. I beat mine on high for 15 minutes and they are great. I bet they would be awesome to roll in coconut, then roast! Love eating guilt-free marshmallows! Have a cup of cocoa with two beauties melting lovingly in front of me as I type this ;)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Wow! This looks so yummy! I almost bought agave syrup from Safeway the other day. I will get the ingredients today. The kids are dying to try these two recipes! Thanks for sharing, Jack!

Stacey said...

I am definitely trying this recipe! Thank you!

Camille said...

Okay...now I'm all set!! THANK YOU!!! BTW...do you promise that these and the hot chocolate are completely calorie free too?? ;-)

I am *so* excited...I can hardly stand it!! Hopefully I will try these this weekend...just got to hunt me down some Agave syrup...is that just what is called "Agave Nectar"?

Have a wonderful day!

Love,
Camille

Camille said...

Oh...and one more question...can Agave Nectar be substituted for any recipe that calls for corn syrup??

Thanks Jackie! :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Camille,
No, these aren't calorie free, but they are fat free!!! Seriously, these are a much better option because Agave syrup is low on the glycemic index, corn syrup is not. If you go for USDA certified organic, than you know it isn't genetically modified, either. And yes, you can substitute Agave syrup (nectar) for anything that calls for corn syrup straight across. You can use rice syrup, too, but I don't like the aftertaste of rice syrup.

It is great to see people getting as excited about marshmallows and I am, LOL!

Anonymous said...

These are great -- and I love the idea of making them as marshmallow fluff. And The picture of them melting in the hot chocolate is devine.

Sandy

Camille said...

Thank you for your anwers Jackie...that's great!! I have a caramel corn recipe and I will try agave nectar in it in place of the corn syrup. :)

Sarah said...

Wow...can't wait to try these too! Jackie you are spoiling us!

Robin said...

Oooooo. I doing this! Thanks!

Shawna said...

I have recently been reading up on from scratch. I haven't started yet. Still trying to read up on it before i take the plunge. After reading this post it just made me SO excited. I know it's just marshmellows..lol but just the thought of being able to make these for my kids (they LOVE marshmellows) made me realize that they will STILL be able to enjoy things they are enjoying now...but I too can enjoy them knowing they aren't eating food that is NOT good for them and full of yucky stuff! I've got SO much to learn. I feel overwhelmed at all these recipes as some of the stuff I don't even know what the ingrediants are. Like you said in one of your other posts how you just need to start small. That is my goal. I think i just may start REAL small and start with Marshmellows! Thanks for all your WONDERFUL posts on making things homemade. Your blog has been a HUGE blessing to me! I plan on blogging about my learning to cook from scratch on my blog at www.shawnabeers.blogspot.com if you wanna take a peek at it and follow it I would feel honored to have you do that. So far my blog is just about motherhood and homeschooling...but I'll be posting ALL about my new adventure of cooking from scratch! I'll be sure to link your site when I use any of your recipes! Again..thank you for you blog! :)
Blessings,
Shawna

Naomi said...

Jackie, thanks so much for rising to the challenge and creating this healthy marshmallow recipe! I'm sharing the link with my Sunflower & Sage community on FB in honor of the end of summer camping enthusiasts.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You are so welcome, Naomi!

Camille said...

Mmmm...I've made your hot cocoa and marshmallows before my friend...and they are OH. SO. GOOD!!

Have a fabulous day!

Love,
Camille

Anonymous said...

Hi I just want to add that you can use grade b maple syrup instead of corn syrup- delicious and nutritious!

The maple flavor is subtle and they roast quickly over the campfire :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'll have to try that! Thanks for the tip!

trimntaut blog said...

This is a great recipe that I want to try! thank you! I will follow your blog :)

Unknown said...

The problem with corn syrup is it may be made with GMO corn. I personally would rather starve then use any GMO product. There are too many unknowns. Write the company before buying their corn syrup. The fact it's USDA approved means nothing. All the tainted meat and vegetables that killed people were all USDA approved.

Laurie Paul said...

I just made mine with brown rice syrup and it did not turn out. I have been beating it for 15 min and it is still liquidy.

Any ideas anyone. Maybe brs doesn't work.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Good to know about the brown rice syrup, Laurie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails