Monday, August 23, 2010

Pickling Fun

All the organic produce we use to make our German dill pickles have finally come on in our garden. Click here for the recipe. We canned 22 quarts last weekend and it is looking like we'll be canning about the same amount this weekend. In addition to the cucumbers, we use fresh onion, pepper slices and garlic (garlic was store bought - forgot to plant some). A friend gave us some dill since ours didn't germinate. I can't wait to try these babies in six weeks!
We have a propane burner set up in the shop to heat out canner that way we don't have to heat up the house. Very nice!

Packing the jars. Um, look at all that garlic on the counter just waiting to go into the jars. Everyone knows they better save Mom a piece of garlic!These are pickles from last year. Just wanted to show you the finished product. People go nuts over these. I'm not really a pickle person, but my family is crazy about them. They'll go through a jar after dinner in one night. Honestly, these are the only pickles I've ever liked. We're making enough to give as Christmas gifts because we know it is a unique gift that most people like. We'll probably pickle two more weekends. I'll be storing them under my bed, LOL.

BTW, Josiah took the first four pictures all by himself without any coaching from me. He seems to really like photography. We're thinking of getting him a cheap digital for his b-day.

I'm hoping to do a gardening post soon, now that we have some hot weather fruits and veggies coming on.

Blessings,
Jackie 

10 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

All I can say is yum. My mom used to can but she never made dill pickles. Only sweet. Love Dill way better. Yeah for gardens & harvest.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Good job, Josiah! You are paying attention to how your Mommy works a camera.

I'm with you, I'm not a pick person, but I have lots of little ones that love them!

So cool, that you got most of the ingredients out of your garden. Now you can claim that they are "organic" dill pickles!

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious! I admire anyone that cans! Wish I had that talent!

Anonymous said...

I like pickles only during pregnancy.
It's neat that you can stuff. I got your message. I'll have to keep looking. Thank you for your comment on my blog.

God bless you!

Jill said...

These look so yummy! My oldest daughter and I LOVE pickles! I've been wanting to try canning them myself, have to try it soon. :-) Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Jill

OurLilFullFam said...

Cool!

Stephanie

RaD said...

Mmmm... and they do look good!

COUNTRY MOM said...

So good to hear from you. You are such a blessing. Thank You for all your prayers for Baby Boy.

Your pickles look so good, I bet they will taste great. Blessings,

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I just wanted to comment on the purchase of a digital camera for your son. I have found the best deals on craiglist where I live for a good used digital for my 8 yr son. The price is usually very close to a new cheapy and much better quality.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for the tip Anonymous! We actually were able to buy him one for half off through Toys to Grow On. I couldn't believe I caught it on sale. Only $18! So happy. Thanks though! The thing will probably take better pictures than my camera, LOL.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails