Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Things I Make From Scratch

I just had the privilege of doing a "Cooking From Scratch" presentation for our local MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group. I was brave and decided to do the presentation in Power Point (never used it before). I had so much fun!
I started my healthy eating journey a little over two years ago when I went to my first MOPS meeting and there was a nutritionist there who explained why unrefined sugars and whole wheat products were so much healthier. She also encouraged us to use natural fats instead of hydrogenated oils and discouraged the use of dyes. I'd never heard of any of that before. I began to actively research natural foods. I discovered that even processed "health foods" weren't really healthy, so I decided to start making my own things from scratch so I could use the ingredients I knew were healthy. I didn't want to compromise taste either, and so began my journey.
I decided I'm going to post parts of my presentation in sections, maybe one a week, so it doesn't overwhelm everyone. The first part of my presentation was a list of everything I make from scratch. As I created this list, I started getting overwhelming just looking at it, but then I realized I don't do make everything on this list all at once. I make a lot of this stuff in big batches (like barbecue sauce) and then freeze it in increments I use, so I don't have to make it more than once a year. I really only cook dinner maybe three times a week because when I do cook, I make a ton and freeze the leftovers. I pull those leftovers out on the days I don't have time to cook. Same goes with breakfasts.
Here's some things I cook/make from scratch:

•Mayonnaise, ketchup, barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, marinades
•Dressings, dips (humus, cream cheese dips)
•Jam, mock maple syrup
•Cookies, muffins, graham crackers, chocolate bars
•Pancakes, waffles, hot cereal
•Jerky
•Soup/Broth, gravies, condensed soups
•Spaghetti sauce
•Bread, biscuits, rolls, hamburger buns, hot dog buns
•Tortillas
•Crackers
•Popcorn
•Pickles
•Apple juice and sauce
*Hot chocolate
*Marshmallows
*Dark chocolate bars/Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
•Most dairy products (ice cream, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, butter, buttermilk, yogurt, whipped cream)
•Home cleaning products
* Sauerkraut
* Tooth Soap
*Body soap

I'll be posting more on the health benefits, savings and practicality of cooking from scratch in the weeks to come. So stay tuned! In the meantime, check out some of my healthy recipes I've posted.
God Bless,
Jackie

8 comments:

Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said...

WOW!!! You Rock!!!! What a great thing you are doing for you and your family. I'm dying to learn how to make jam. I make strawberry freezer jelly every year but that is it. I'm very impressed with the whole power point thing and I'm sure your MOPS group was as well. Can't wait to hear more.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I make my freezer jam using "Pamona's Pectin". I'm sure you could get it on-line somewhere if it isn't at your local health food store. There is a recipe in there for no-cook freezer jam using honey for a sweetner. I can barely taste a difference. It is super easy and since it is no-cook, all the enzymes are still intact in your food (even the honey, if you use raw). Enzymes help us with digestion and help prevent food allergies because our bodies are getting "help" in the digestion process. When I make jam, I'll make several gallons of a particular fruit at one time, so I don't have to make that particular jam for a few years. Last year, I didn't have to make any at all! Thanks for commenting.

Jon said...

I am so impressed & inspired. I would love every single recipe, lol. I do make a lot of these things from scratch, but you have several items on your list that I would never have even thought about. Like..tortillas & all your dairy items. I wanna be more like YOU!
CB (Blogger won't let me log in)!

CD said...

Just wanted to RE-STATE that the above comment was actually from ME.."CB" not Jonathan, my Hubs. :0)

blessedmomof3 said...

Wow, you make some interesting things! I wish I did more from scratch, but I find it all too hard. I look forward to more of your posts on all this. :-)

Andrea

Harmie said...

*drools* I loooove homemade stuff.... But unfortunately I don't get to work at home. Lucky girl.

At the very least, I love my job.

sleepless_mom_of_4 said...

Wow, is there any way you could upload the powerpoint or the recipies? I am always looking for fun ways to make things that are cheap and healthy for the family.
Thanks for the blog!
I currently make my own:
laundry soap (the recipie that everyone has online)
face wash (1/2 tsp raw honey + a few drops lemon juice)
and carpet fresh (1 part baking soda to 1 part cornstarch + a few oils.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Sleepless Mom of 4,

Hi there! Glad you stopped by for a visit to my blog. I don't know how to upload the Powerpoint presentation. I just copied this post from part of it. I've got the rest of it on my blog under the label "cooking from scratch".

That is great that you are making all those things from scratch. Thanks for sharing your recipes :) Keep up the good work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails