Saturday, September 20, 2008

Parenting Bragging Rights

BE WARNED: If bodily functions gross you out, do not continue to read!

Not everyone can say they've been puked on by each of their children in less than 8 hours. Last night we took Josiah to the Elgin Opera House to watch The Sound of Music. It started at 7:30 pm (his bedtime is normally at 7 pm), but I thought, he'd be enthralled and it would be no big deal. During the song just before intermission, he started getting really wiggly and wanting to lay on us and telling us he wanted to go home. We just kept telling him to lay his head back on us and go to sleep if he was tired. The lights come on at intermission, and 30 seconds later he leans over and does his business all over my skirt, shoe and the floor. He had eaten an enormous amount of popcorn and I think that with being tired was a bad combo. Just as we were about to leave (we had quite an audience at this point), he does it again. Poor Michael, he can't stand puke! While I carried Josiah out (the Opera House has only bathroom and during intermission the line is very long), he had to clean it up. Luckily, some people came to his rescue with a bucket, rags and cleaner. We were humiliated! However, as we drove home, we started counting our blessings and realized that the situation could have been much worse. First of all, it happened during intermission, not during the slow quiet song that had just been performed. Luckily he wasn't a noisy puker. Second, the little old lady next to us just happened leave her seat right at the beginning of intermission or she would have been doused as well. The third blessing was that the puke incredibly didn't have an odor, which was really nice since we all had some of it on us. Fourthly, the Elgin Opera House has really wide rows with wooden floors, so it made for very easy clean up and the guy in front of us didn't get it down the back of him. All in all it could have been much worse, so we used it as an opportunity to praise God and see it in a humorous light.

This morning, I was trying to do some yoga stretches with Hailey crawling all over me. I was moving her as I changed stretches and lifted her up over my. I opened my mouth to say something to her just as she spit the banana, graham cracker and milk she had recently eaten all over my face and in my mouth (luckily I had my teeth closed) and hair. YUCK! I couldn't believe that I got "hit" twice in the space of less than 8 hours.

Oh the joys of parenting! That which doesn't kill us will make us stronger. Well off to make breakfast! Anybody else feel like eating after reading this? Sorry, but I just had to write this one down for posterity's sake.

2 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Nasty! Glad it wasn't me this time!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Yeah! I'm sure you can identify. I'm getting my pictures downloaded from my camera so I can get some up on my blog. So glad you're reading it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails